Electrical Power Cable Engineering, Third Edition
: CRC PRESS
- Compares ethylene propylene co- and ter-polymers to polyethylene and cross-linked polyethylene
- Explains the purposes of metallic and nonmetallic cable shields
- Reviews a variety of thermoplastic jacket materials
- Addresses the design, application, and preparation of terminating and splicing cables
- Covers methods for testing shielded power cable systems in the field
Fully updated, Electrical Power Cable Engineering, Third Edition again concentrates on the remarkably complex design, application, and preparation methods required to terminate and splice cables. This latest addition to the CRC Press Power Engineering series covers cutting-edge methods for design, manufacture, installation, operation, and maintenance of reliable power cable systems. It is based largely on feedback from experienced university lecturers who have taught courses on these very concepts.
The book emphasizes methods to optimize vital design and installation of power cables used in the interrelated fields of electrical, mechanical, and, to some extent, civil engineering. An in-depth exploration of power cable characteristics and applications, it illustrates the many factors that can hinder real-world cable performance. Content focuses on low and medium voltages, considering that these are used for the majority of cables in service globally. This edition also details techniques for testing shielded power cable systems in the field, demonstrating how conductor material size and design depend on ampacity, voltage regulation, and other factors.
Covering everything from manufacturing to testing, this resource will benefit:
- Cable engineers and technicians (working for investor-owned utilities, rural electric cooperatives, and industrial manufacturers) who need to improve their oversight and understanding of power cables
- Universities that offer electrical power courses
- Professionals who must master new power cable terminology, engineering characteristics, and background information that will aid them in their decision making responsibilities
The author is a life fellow of the IEEE and one of the original developers of industry standards for cables and accessories. To simplify field fundamentals and techniques for less experienced readers, his book contains new, updated, and expanded chapters and an extensive glossary, in addition to useful references, tables, equations, and photographs. More experienced engineers will appreciate the book’s invaluable updates on the emerging materials, products, and concepts driving their dynamic field.
Schedule Your NCCER Test
Ready to take your exam? Brown Technical offers a direct way to book your NCCER test through us. We will locate the testing center closest to you. Click the link to get started.