Distribution System Analysis and Automation
Distribution systems analysis employs a set of techniques that allow engineers to simulate, analyse, and optimise power distribution systems. Combined with automation, these techniques underpin the emerging concept of the “smart grid”. This is described as the entire network from electrical generating plants to customers, taking advantage of communication, advanced applications and information technology to guarantee a reliable and efficient electrical service.
Distribution System Analysis and Automation is based on over 30 years of experience in the field of power systems and combines theoretical concepts with real-world applications and MATLAB exercises.
Topics covered include;
• An overview of smart grid concepts and technology
• Distribution automation functions
• Fundamentals of distribution system analysis
• Short circuit calculation
• Reliability of distribution systems
• Reconfiguration and restoration of distribution systems
• Voltage/var control; harmonic analysis
• Modern protection of distribution systems
• Communications in smart grids
• Interoperability concepts in power electric systems
• Maturity models
About the author
Juan M. Gers is President of GERS, a consulting engineering company specialised in power systems and adjunct professor of Gonzaga University. He was lecturer at University of Valle for more than 20 years and Vice minister of Mines and Energy of Colombia in 2002. He is co-author of ‘Protection of Electricity Distribution Networks” (IET, 2011), now in its third edition, and is the author/co-author of over 40 technical papers. Dr. Gers is a Chartered Engineer of the IET and participates in several groups of the Power System Relaying Committee of the IEEE.
Schedule Your NCCER Test
Ready to take your exam? Brown Technical offers a direct way to book your NCCER test through us. We will locate the testing center closest to you. Click the link to get started.