State Electrical Licensing Requirements
The Virginia Board for Contractors regulates individual craft professionals who engage in electrical work. The term "certified" is used, but state certification of electricians is mandatory.
Virginia has various degrees of reciprocity with the following states:
- Alabama – Reciprocal agreement for contractor licenses and master electrician examinations.
- Kentucky – Reciprocal agreement for journey and master electrician licenses.
- Louisiana – Reciprocal agreement for journeyman and master electricians.
- North Carolina – Reciprocal agreement for various levels of electricians, including master and journeyman electricians, as well as contractor business licenses.
- West Virginia – Reciprocal agreement for master electrician license examinations.
Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
9960 Mayland Drive, Fourth Floor
Richmond, VA 23233-1485